Sunday, May 08, 2005

Romans à Vapeur

Bruce Holland Rogers, who best known for his short stories, is engaged in writing a long novel, Steam, which he describes on his website at http://www.sff.net/people/bruce/steam.htm I have known Bruce for some time, and found his project intriguing, so I subscribed.

Bruce is currently six chapters into the novel (and very interesting they are; I recommend it). In a recent one -- written in the last week of April -- a character builds a steam engine and then uses it to convert coffee into espresso. I was struck by this, since the same thing happens (accidentally) in my Arabian Wine. I don't think Bruce has read my novel; likelier he got the idea on his own, since it's obvious enough if you are thinking about steam.

I found it interesting that his novel is primarily about futures trading, manic-depression, and steam power, and secondarily about coffee. My novel Arabian Wine is exactly the reverse.

Are there any other romans à vapeur out there?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meaning, about steam in itself, or a series of novels that dissipate like steam?

One of these years, I'll get up the courage to work on my phlogeston theory SF novel. But that probably doesn't count.

---L.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home