Sunday, February 21, 2010

ADMIRAL but not POET

I have been busy sedtting up a trust account for the Estate of Thomas M. Disch, a seemingly straightforward business save for the many forms required ("Letters Testamentary" and the like). On the day I brought all the stuff together, the bank representative went through the software options to establish the account. There was a drop-down option for the field for my name -- all sorts of forms of address proved available, including "Admiral." (I almost plumped for "Admiral Feeley," but decided to be serious.)

However, later on we had to putting in information for the other trustee, who will not be handling the account on a day-to-day basis but whose name needs to be on it. Entering data, the bank rep asked me for Ben Downing's occupation. Ben teaches and edits, but he publishes poetry regularly, so I suggested (not entirely winsomely) that she put him down as "Poet."

Sorry,the drop-down menu didn't allow for that one.